These are the steps we have taken towards our goal of being a conscious business.
We are motivated by the philosophy and practices of Conscious Capitalism – joining the dots between creative business principles, sustainability and collaboration. The roots of our ethos is sustainability – the heart is integrity.
When designing our business model, we focused on the importance of both our surroundings and our community. Our long term goal is to continuously improve our policies and actions towards being a conscious business. We need to move with the times and keep igniting conversations around sustainable business practices and responsible tourism.
A conscious business questions itself – is open to change – and wants to foster both innovation and understanding.
Small Steps Towards A More Sustainable Future
In the larger scheme of things, we aspire to become carbon neutral someday. While we aren’t there yet, we have been taking small steps today to try and reduce our carbon footprint.
- Our guests have the luxury of bathing with hot water that is generated using heat pump technology. Air-source heat pumps extract heat from the outside air, operating like fridges in reverse. These heat pumps in a residential setting can save more than 2 tonnes of carbon per year, contributing up to 20% less CO2e than gas boilers and up to 70% less than electric systems.
- The black water generated at Vaayu Kula is treated using a biodigester.
- We have strictly limited single-use plastics on our property and do not sell plastic bottled water or any pre-packed food.
- Our to go boxes are all compostable and eco designed.
- Our mini bar food is sourced locally from a zero waste store and is comprised of organic and locally made healthy snacks.
- Almost all of our furniture was built with up-cycled antique wood.
- The wooden beams used for the roofs of the rooms was harvested from trees that were uprooted during the 2021 cyclone in Goa.
- Most of the waste generated at Vaayu Kula is recycled and composted.
Our Local Initiatives
At the heart of it, Vaayu is a community-focused company. We might have upscaled and upgraded our offerings, but we will never forget to give back to the local community that helps us exist in the first place. We strive to find a conscious balance between the needs and desires of our guests and the local community that allows us to thrive.
Even a sparsely populated beach can get polluted over time. And, we are at the mercy of the tides – so all sorts of things appear on our beach. We regularly organize beach clean-up drives that help us give back to the community. And honour our environment. It’s more pleasant and healthy then for the sunbather, the beach seller, the fisherman and the sea turtles.
According to the IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature), at least 14 million tons of plastic end up in the ocean every year. Would you believe we once found a TV washed up on the shore? Our beach clean ups inspired our artist in residence Miles Toland to create a mural of sea creatures vs plastic in Aswem. Art is a powerful tool in helping us raise awareness.
Education and action go hand in hand. We regularly host film screenings of environmental and thought-provoking documentaries to ignite conversation, raise awareness and cultivate a deeper sense of responsibility in all of us.
To help prevent our furry friends from unwanted pain and suffering, we conduct dog sterilization programs for the betterment of the local community. We also encourage people to adopt and not shop.
We believe that the best way to give back to the local community is by creating space for them. At Vaayu, we source as much as possible from local and cottage industries. Much of our food, toiletries, and even the minibar goodies you’re likely to munch on in your rooms, come straight from the homes of the Mandrem locals.
We believe that the best way to give back to the local community is by creating space for them. At Vaayu Kula, we try to source as much as possible from the humble cottage industries in the area. Much of our food, toiletries, and even the minibar goodies you’re likely to munch on in your rooms, come straight from the homes of the Mandrem locals.
To ensure that no stray dog is left to starve on the street, we conduct dog sterilization programs for the betterment of the local community. We also encourage people to adopt, and not shop.
Vaayu Kula is all about learning, experiencing, and growing. Hence, we provide our guests with the opportunity to participate in various Conscious Consumer and Permaculture workshops to learn more about what it means to be a socially and environmentally conscious citizen and tourist.
Responsible Tourism Collective Member
As a founding member of the Responsible Tourism Collective (RTC), we interact and co-ordinate with other responsible, ethical, and sustainable businesses to take steps to empower the local community.