These are the steps we have taken towards our goal of being a conscious business.
The ‘Vaayu’ family has always taken our surroundings and community into consideration, when designing our business model. Our long term goal is to continuously improve our policies and actions towards being a conscious business.
Small Steps Towards A More Sustainable Future
In the larger scheme of things, we aspire to become carbon neutral someday. While we aren’t there yet, we have been taking small steps today to try and reduce our carbon footprint.
- Our guests have the luxury of bathing with hot water that is generated using heat pump technology. Air-source heat pumps extract heat from the outside air, operating like fridges in reverse. These heat pumps in a residential setting can save more than 2 tonnes of carbon per year, contributing up to 20% less CO2e than gas boilers and up to 70% less than electric systems.
- The black water generated at Vaayu Kula is treated using a biodigester.
- We have strictly limited single-use plastics on our property and do not sell plastic bottled water or any pre-packed food.
- Our to go boxes are all compostable and eco designed.
- Our mini bar food is sourced locally from a zero waste store and is comprised of organic and locally made healthy snacks.
- Almost all of our furniture was built with up-cycled antique wood.
- The wooden beams used for the roofs of the rooms was harvested from trees that were uprooted during the 2021 cyclone in Goa.
- Most of the waste generated at Vaayu Kula is recycled and composted.
Our Local Initiatives
At the heart of it, Vaayu is a community-focused company. We might have upscaled and upgraded our offerings, but we will never forget to give back to the local community that helps us exist in the first place. Our harmony is a delicate balance between the needs and desires of our guests and the local community that allows us to thrive.
Even a sparsely populated beach can get polluted over time. This is why we, at Vaayu, regularly organize beach clean-up drives that help us give back to the community.
Education and action go hand in hand, and we recognize this. We regularly conduct screenings of environmental documentaries and short films to help raise awareness and imbibe a sense of responsibility in our guests.
We believe that the best way to give back to the local community is by creating space for them. At Vaayu, we source as much as possible from the humble cottage industries in the area. Much of our food, toiletries, and even the minibar goodies you’re likely to munch on in your rooms, come straight from the homes of the Mandrem locals.
To help prevent our furry friends from unwanted pain and suffering, we conduct dog sterilizations programs for the betterment of the local community. We also encourage people to adopt, and not shop.
We believe that the best way to give back to the local community is by creating space for them. At Vaayu Kula, we try to source as much as possible from the humble cottage industries in the area. Much of our food, toiletries, and even the minibar goodies you’re likely to munch on in your rooms, come straight from the homes of the Mandrem locals.
To ensure that no stray dog is left to starve on the street, we conduct dog sterilization programs for the betterment of the local community. We also encourage people to adopt, and not shop.
Vaayu Kula is all about learning, experiencing, and growing. Hence, we provide our guests with the opportunity to participate in various Conscious Consumer and Permaculture workshops to learn more about what it means to be a socially and environmentally conscious citizen and tourist.
Responsible Tourism Collective Member
As a founding member of the Responsible Tourism Collective (RTC), we interact and co-ordinate with other responsible, ethical, and sustainable businesses to take steps to empower the local community.